Eggless chocolate pudding is thick, creamy, and delicious. Also dairy and gluten free, this is a great treat for those with food allergies as well as on the low iodine diet.
I will admit that I am a chocolate lover. One of the hardest parts of the low iodine diet was many of my normal chocolate treats were not allowed. Cocoa powder is ok on the low iodine diet, but most forms of “solid” chocolate have dairy products added.
Some links on this site are affiliate links, meaning I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you click on them. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Types of Chocolate
There are dairy free chocolate chips if you look. Here are a few brands available online. Please note buying online often means buying in bulk. Check your local grocery or health food stores for individual packages. *This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Baker’s Choice Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Enjoy Life Baking Chips
- Barry Callebaut Chocolate Chips
- Gefen Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Nestle Tollhouse Allergen Free Baking Chips
This eggless chocolate pudding has cocoa powder and melted chocolate chips, giving it a double chocolate punch. If you are following the low iodine diet, be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips. If not, use whatever chips you like.
Eggs and Nutrition
Egg yolks thicken traditional puddings. Since egg yolks are high in iodine, this recipe substitutes avocados. They provide a rich creamy texture without the iodine. And the mild taste of avocado is hidden behind the two forms of chocolate.
Previously, I mentioned pudding as a great option to eat after thyroid surgery. It’s soft, creamy texture and chilled state make it a soothing food. Most puddings are generally a good source of protein due to the eggs and milk in them. This pudding is free of both, but it is a good source of calories and monounsaturated fats. So even though you don’t have to follow the low iodine diet immediately after surgery, this eggless chocolate pudding is a great snack to try no matter your dietary restrictions.
Eggless Chocolate Pudding
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 avocados large
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Combine water, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, peppermint (if using), and salt in a small pan. Cook over medium heat until it simmers and sugar and cocoa dissolve. Cook for 2 minutes after it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and cover pan.
- Put flesh of avocado into a food processor. Process for 2 minutes, until it is very smooth. With processor running, slowly add chocolate water mixture. Process until smooth and completely incorporated, about 2 minutes more.
- Microwave dark chocolate chips until melted, stirring at 30 second intervals. Add to avocado mixture and process until smooth.
- Transfer pudding to 4 serving cups, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.