This black bean, corn, and avocado salsa is packed with protein and fiber, making it a filling and healthy snack.
Chips and salsa are a great appetizer or snack that will be a hit with most crowds. Whether it’s game day, game night, outdoor barbecue, or just a Tuesday afternoon.
Vegan, gluten free, and low iodine friendly, this salsa is sure to become a favorite at your house too. It’s also very adaptable to your preferences.
What You’ll Need
- No salt added canned black beans
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Frozen corn
- Jalapeno, optional
- Kosher salt, optional
How to Make
This salsa is super easy to make. Just chop up all your fresh veggies, toss with beans and lime juice, and cilantro!
Variations and Storage
You could change up the beans if you prefer or have something else on hand. The amount of veggies can be altered to your taste as well.
Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. This will not freeze well.
FAQ’s about Black Bean, Corn, and Avocado Salsa
Why put beans in salsa?
By adding beans to salsa, you add protein. This delicious protein makes this a more balanced snack or even meal! The protein will help you feel full longer and power your muscles.
How do I keep avocado from turning brown?
Avocado turns brown because it oxidizes when it is exposed to air. Here are a couple tips:
- Chop and add the avocado just when you are ready to serve. This decreases the amount of time it is exposed to air.
- Make sure the lime juice gets on the avocado. You could even toss your chopped avocado in lime juice separately before adding to the salsa. The lime juice creates a barrier to help prevent oxidation.
Are there low iodine diet friendly chips to eat this with?
Many brands of tortilla chips use sea salt. There are unsalted tortilla chips which are a great choice. Or you can make your own.
Low Iodine Friendly Tortilla Chips
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Trader Joe’s Unsalted Tortilla Chips
- Santitias Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Tortilla Chips
- Juanita’s Tortilla Chips
- Enjoy Life Lentil chips (all but sea salt flavor)
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Black Bean, Corn, and Avocado Salsa
- 2 cans unsalted black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 9 tomatoes chopped
- ⅓ red onion medium, chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- cilantro to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- For best results, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors all come together. Can serve immediately if needed